Saturday, January 12, 2008

Barack Obama: Let the Buyer Beware

There is indeed something going in the Barack Obama campaign, but it requires a closer look. The first time I heard him speak since his keynote address at the Democratic Convention, Mr. Obama was giving his victory address after the Iowa caucus. Despite being a committed supporter of Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton, I must admit I was taken in by his soaring oratory and plea for unity.

As the campaign progressed, and I heard more of his speeches, I came to realize he wasn't saying very much. Yes, the words and sentiments were eloquent, but it was like the old Wendy's commercial, "Where's the beef?" Slowly, it dawned on me that everyone brought their own hopes and aspirations to these rallies, and transposed them onto what Obama was saying. Thus, the speeches served as a template for our individual needs.

With all due respect to Mr. Obama and the historic campaign he is waging, this is a dangerous thing. Even if the messenger is well meaning, the fact that masses of people are flocking to his campaign suggests we, as a people, may be vulnerable to a demagogue. Not that Barack is one, just that Americans are often a little naive. Mr. Obama is exploiting that fact like any good politician who tries to avoid unnecessarily alienating groups of voters by being too specific.

Now, I don't really know Mr. Obama very well, and I prefer Hillary because I know where she stands and her true concern for all Americans. But it is difficult for her to compete against someone who stirs the longing and desparation we all feel at times.

So, here's just a note of caution: Caveat Emptor... Let the buyer beware.